July 1, 2014

One More Way Not to Build Confidence

Another common advice to build confidence goes, 'Stop comparing with others. Just work hard.' This advice is both impossible to follow and also harmful to do so.

Impossible

How can we stop comparing?
  1. We do not live alone, in total isolation, in the universe.
  2. We do not live in sensory deprivation chambers, with eyes seeing nothing, with ears hearing nothing, and so on.

Harmful

Why should we stop comparing? In matters of learning, comparison comes even before imitation and copycatting!

Say, I am a young swimmer. How much arrogance or blindness would it take for me not to know and learn from Thorpe , Phelps and other greats.

Say, I am a young golfer. How much arrogance or blindness would it take for me not to know and learn from Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Gary Player and other greats.

Say, I am a young footballer. How much arrogance or blindness would it take for me not to know and learn from Ronaldo (Brazil), Romario, Maradona and other greats.

There must be a better way. Let's see.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 01, 2014

    Tostao the visionary

    “I had several shortcomings that I reduced over time, through hard work in training every day. I practically only used my left foot, I couldn’t head the ball – I did so with my eyes shut – I was slow over medium and long distances. Moreover, my long-range shooting was poor, while my technical and physical limitations (and lack of pace) meant I couldn't keep up with my speed of thought. My mind rapidly told my body what it wanted it to do, but my body often didn’t obey. Nevertheless, I was extremely self-critical, and I always believed I could make myself a better player.”

    “Jean-Claude Killy, the famous French skier, used to train mentally with a stopwatch and would say that he managed almost the same time when it came to the actual race, ... I trained the moves mentally, constantly picturing game situations in my mind’s eye.”


    http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/players/player=63881/

    ReplyDelete

A Tip for Job Search: Gold Rush Skills

  If you need to make some money very quickly, what would you do? Your answer points to the kind of problems you can solve. They give you so...