- Fun : Everyone becomes curious about what they regard as fun.
- Novelty : They may also become interested in new stuffs.
- Collative attributes : This is about collation i.e. collecting, sorting, ordering, arranging things.
According to the author, "collative" techniques are particularly good for invoking curiosity. In practical terms, it means
- we show students that there are gaps in their understanding and world view.
- we show students that there are discords, contradictions, dissonance in their understanding and world view.
- we dare them to imagine, visualize, mental-simulate some more possible worlds, rather than the one they are used to.