What to Focus while Reading?
- Your existing knowledge
- The big picture
- Key ideas, definitions, terms
- Your summary
- Your organization
- Your mental picture
- Your hook/cue/mnemonics
What if You Get Confused while Reading?
- Return to the big picture.
- Backtrack. Retrace your steps to note the wrong turns you've taken.
- Jump to the end
- Find an example.
- Skip it!
How to Organize
- Ways to compare
- Similarities and differences
- Dependency, order, relationships etc
Kinds of Hooks or Mnemonics
imitate -----------> understand
what --------------> why
- Guess, trial and error. Play around.
- Try extreme cases
- Try special or general cases
- Restate or re-formulate the problem.
- Remind yourself of similar problems, or some relevant/related concepts
- Reconstruct the problem in smaller or simpler ways. Our favorite trick.