First all of, here come tow major findings from the book.
- No stress, full emotions ----------> good learning
- Meditation ---> Gamma waves ---> good learning
Causes of good memory are :
- Learning through multi-senses, multi-channels e.g. see, hear, do, touch, smell
- Association, links
- Intensity, vividness, sharpness
- Chunking: primacy effect (you remember most what you notice first), recency effect (you remember most what you notice most recently.)
- Reviews: After every hour, After every half day, After every whole day.
Stages of Reading
- Read clues to know what to expect, what to look for, what to focus.
- Slow reading to facilitate real, deep learning
- Summarize and sketch.
Taking Lecture Notes
- Key words, in your own words.
- Key patterns
- Diagrams, graphs.
- Flexible, non-linear arrows to link points.
- Spaces to fill later: With what you might have missed, With our own insights, etc.
If You Have to Cram, Cram Five Days in Advance
- Focus on the possible. Cut back your ambitions.
- Try to do just 2 new topics per day.
- Practice output activities i.e. write, speak, present, demo etc.
- Stop new input as the target date nears.