1. Make sense of the key ideas in what you read or hear.
2. Recall and review periodically.
How to Be a High School Superstar, by Cal Newport, 2010 endorses the same approach:
1. Quiz yourself and answer loud.
Memory Principles at HopeHero Software Works
- Arouse desire for what you want to remember.
- Chunk and encapsulate. If necessary reformat the input.
- Make sense, find meaning, relate new materials to your existing knowledge..
- Make a cue to easily re-activate what you've just remembered. e.g mental pictures, mental movies, tunes, rhymes, acronyms, etc.
- Recite. Practice active recall.
- Use it, apply it in real life.
- Avoid distraction, intervention, interference.
- Rest and sleep properly.
Types of memory
- Audio loop e.g the way you remember phone numbers.
- Imagery, pictures, snapshots
- Episodic, films, movie-like events
- Semantic, symbolic, verbal, language-related.
We will elaborate on each of these principles later.