- You may be reading to grasp a certain message.
- You may want to answer a specific question.
- You may be reading to evaluate what you are reading.
- You may be trying to find important details.
- You are only interested in applying what you are reading to your task at hand.
Technical Text Reading
- Definitions, terms, vocabulary. They are the foundations.
- Examples. They help you consolidate your understanding.
- Visuals. They save you a lot of work. A picture is often worth more than a thousand words.
- Relationships e.g. classifications, contrasts, cause and effects, etc.
Review and solidify often, especially with definitions, examples, formulas.